February 5, 2009

Fernando Martinez Injured Again


MLB.com is reporting that the Mets top prospect Fernando Martinez is suffering from a sore elbow and is on his way to New York for a checkup. Martinez said of the injury:

“I felt my elbow tighten up the day before yesterday,” Martinez told MLB.com. “It was a little swollen. It’s better. I feel I can play again. I don’t think I need to fly to New York to get a check up but the Mets want me to.”
On Tuesday F-Mart a two-run home run against the Puerto Rico team that won the game for the Tigres de Licey.

This is not the first injury scare for the 20 year old Martinez. F-Mart missed half of the 2007 minor league season with a contusion. In 2008 he injured his hamstring twice during the season.

This injury does not sound serious but it does worry me. F-Mart is only 20 years old but keeps on getting injured. The Mets have turned down a lot of good trade offers over the years for the young outfielder on the idea that when he is seasoned and ready to join the show he will be a dominant player. Early last season there was talk of F-Mart being a September call-up but due to the injuries he sustained his development was pushed back. F-Mart when healthy has the potential to be a perennial all-star. The Mets have banked on F-Mart to be the future of this team for years to come. I ask you do you think that F-Mart will stay healthy enough to live up to his potential or is he a younger version of Moises Alou?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mets Blogger,

    In an attempt to promote Mets blogs, Mr Mets Daily will be adding an aggregator to our site with the most recent updates from Mets blogs that would like to participate. The aggregator will post the most recent 10 posts with a link to the site it was written on.

    If you are interested in being part of this, please email info@myteamrivals.com with your URL. All we ask is that you add our site to your blog roll. If you would be interested in adding the aggregator to your site, email me and I will send you the code.

    Our hope is that we can obtain more readers and more interest in the Mets and our blogs. I appreciate each of your sites and enjoy your writing and hope this initiative brings us all more readers.

    Thanks,
    Mike Jaronsky

    ReplyDelete