January 27, 2009

Jerry Manual says he wants Manny!

I missed the original broadcast of Daily News Live yesterday on SNY but I was able to catch the interview online this morning. It was a good interview, Jerry is very entertaining, has a way of answering a reporters questions without giving away too much. The one part of the interview that got me excited was when he commented on Manny Ramirez. I debated with myself today whether or not to write this as I have written a lot on Manny in the short time I started this blog but in the end I decided to share my opinion on the matter.

Jerry said "I'd love to have the opportunity to watch Manny hit every day." I couldn't agree more with that, Manny has an amazing swing and he also makes pitchers go deep into the count which is surprising with a power hitter. Jerry went on to say "Manny Ramirez just might be one of the greatest hitters in our generation." Look at his numbers, kind of hard to argue that logic.

One of the concerns of Met fans, the media and perhaps the front office is "Manny being Manny." Jerry said "I don't have a problem with people that produce in the form and fashion that Manny Ramirez produces." Jerry also says "I don't have problems with strong willed ballplayers who play like he does. I've managed Albert Belle and Frank Thomas and they said the same things about them. We had no problems and were quite successful."

Say what you want about Jerry but he does speak his mind when asked a question no matter what the subject is. Last week I reported that COO Jeff Wilpon said the Mets have no interest in Manny and Omar said they are looking to sign a low cost corner outfielder. David Wright commented last week that he wouldn't mind if Manny came to the club and several other players throughout this long off-season have said similar.

I hope the players and manager will put some pressure on the front office staff to get Manny. With Manny in the lineup and our improved bullpen we will go far into the post season, a World Series appearance would not be out of the question. How nice would it be for CitiField to be a co-host of the World Series in it's first year of existence?

No comments:

Post a Comment