January 14, 2009

Johan Santana and the World Baseball Classic

On October 1, 2008 Johan Santana had surgery to repair a tear in his meniscus. A few days earlier Santana took to the mound one last time at Shea Stadium in a must win game against The Florida Marlins. Santana was coming of 3 days rest and pitched an amazing 3 hit shutout showing baseball and the Mets faithful that the talent the Mets traded to Minnesota and the money they are paying Santana was well worth it.

Santana has been rehabbing, getting ready to have another spectacular season for the Mets. Before the season starts Santana has said he wants to represent his native country of Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic but must first get clearance from the Mets medical staff. Santana on MLB.com says "I'd love to represent my country but I'm not going to do anything crazy. We'll see how everything is with my knee. I'm hoping the doctors will give me the OK."

I understand his desire to play and represent his country but he is being paid a lot of money to be the number 1 starter for the Mets and with the lack of depth in the rotation right now I would rather him not pitch in the classic. He is too valuable to lose for any amount of time be it just one start or in worst case scenario the entire season. Santana turns 30 on March 13th and he is going to need to be the Santana we saw in the second half for the entire season if the Mets want to be playing baseball in late October.

No comments:

Post a Comment