January 24, 2009

Maine ready to go, responds to Cole Hamels


I was reading the NY Post online website today and stumbled on an article written by Kevin Kernan about RHP John Maine. Kernan reports that Maine has been throwing pain free "five, six times a week" following a season ending surgery on his shoulder. Kernan reports that this season we will see a different John Maine as Maine says "I'm a little meaner than people think and I'm not as naive as people think. As clichéd as it is, I can't stand losing. It drives me crazy. I hate losing more than I like winning. It really aggravates me when things don't go all that great."


Asked about the Phillies and Cole Hamels calling the Mets choke artist Maine says "They won the World Series and I say, "Congratulations.' Let them celebrate it, but just don't worry about what's going on in New York. We'll take care of it. And if I can remember; we beat them head-on last year, didn't we?"

I have to say I like that the Mets are not shying away about their opinions on Hamel's statements. Maine is usually a man of very few words after a win or a loss. It has been said for the last 2 seasons that the Mets don't have a spark and are not fired up enough but I think Hamel's labeling them choke artists really did something to these guys and we will see a different mindset from the Mets this season.
If you want to read the rest of the article with Maine which was very good as Maine talks about rehabbing and a nagging problem he has dealt with for awhile go to the article

No comments:

Post a Comment